Humans are the only species with a distinctive mushroom-capped head or “glans
”. In evolutionary studies, this mushroom shape has two purposes: to spread a women’s vagina during sex and to scoop out semen previously deposited by male competitors.
The second reason seems unbelievable, but we all agree that the mushroom shape facilitates a good penetration. A mushroom head can spread the labia and vaginal walls apart and “locks” the penis inside. For many men and women, a big head means more pleasure.
Not every guy, however, has the same penis profile — some look more like spears or rockets rather than mushrooms. While the glans is spongy and difficult to change, increasing its size is possible over time and through hard work.
This article will focus on free methods you can do at home today. If you have some money to spend, we recommend you look into Bathmate and Hydromax pumps (read our review). Using a Vacuum Constriction Device like Bathmate is the most effective way to increase blood flow in that part of the penis.
Do Regular Penile Exercises Work?
Usually, a penile exercise (PE) that works on girth will eventually increase the size of the head as part of the effects. So if you’re into jelqing now, just continue it and observe if the glans is getting its share of benefits.
However, if you don’t see any glans effect or if you just want to focus on getting a more massive head, either you modify your jelqs or start a glans-dedicated routine. Your objective is to draw more blood into the glans, trap the blood longer at the tip, and cause more tissue expansion in the head.
While jelqing draws blood to the entire penis, the parts will not get equal treatment. That’s why most of the observed effects are on the length of the shaft.
If you like to bring a more significant effect to the glans, here is a how you can vary a regular jelqing routine:
- Make an OK finger gesture.
- Grip fingers around the penis close to the base of the shaft. This time, position the fingers underneath the penis where the corpus spongiosum (CS) is located. The glans is the expanded cap of the CS, so stroking along the CS will bring more significant effects to the glans.
- Squeeze lightly and slowly slide your hand forward.
- When you reached the area below the glans, stop and decrease the grip slightly. This motion will retain the blood at the tip and expand the glans. Do not squeeze the glans as there’s a risk of losing sensitivity
- Release your hand
- Repeat all steps.
There are several PEs specially designed for glans enlargement. From simple squeezes to advanced routines, we break down five exercises that will bring more blood and tissue expansion on the penis tip.
The erect squeeze is the simplest among glans-focused routine. Here is how to do it:
- Make your penis at least 90% erect.
- Using right hand, make an OK grip at the base. Then grab the entire shaft with your left hand. Squeeze tightly to force the blood forward into the glans. Delivering more blood to the head will cause more expansion in that area.
- Hold the squeeze as long as you can tolerate. Release the grip.
- Repeat the cycle with caution.
Alternatively, you can use two OK grips — one at the base and the other just below the glans. Squeeze then hold for 30 seconds. You can repeat the cycle five more times.
Mushroom Head Exercise
This exercise combines elements of the modified jelq and the erect squeeze.
- Make your penis semi-erect, around 80%.
- Using your left hand’s index and middle fingers, make a scissor sign. Squeeze the penis shaft at the base. Doing this will stop the flow of blood.
- With your right hand, make an OK sign with your thumb and index finger. Starting at the base, slowly stroke your penis towards the head to draw the blood forward. Do the stroke four to five times.
- Grasp the whole shaft with your right hand and squeeze tightly (like strangling a snake). Hold for a few seconds or as long as you can tolerate. Blood will stay longer in the head and won’t flow back to the base.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with caution. Remember, the left hand is squeezing at the base all the time and that the penis must be in a semi-erect state.
This one adds a wrapping technique to the squeezing and stroking processes.
- Make your penis semi-erect, around 80%.
- From the glans’ edge up to 1.5” below it, wrap the shaft 4-5 times with a sports wrap or any latex wrap. The wrap must be too tight (your penis will feel numb) or too loose. The wrap will act as a tourniquet and increase blood retention at the tip.
- With your left hand, put the thumb on top of the wrap, and position the index and middle fingers on the CS side of the penis. Clamp to hold blood in the glans area.
- With your right hand, make an OK sign at the base of the shaft. Perform an upward stroke towards your left hand. The motion will pump more blood to the tip.
- Once your two hands have touched, slightly loosen the left hand to let the blood rush into the head.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with caution. Remember, your penis must be in a semi-erect state.
The oxygen supply to the glans will be cut off, but the rushing fresh blood will bring sufficient oxygen. As a result, your penis could turn purple. If this happens, don’t unwrap immediately. Try squeezing the blood out of the head, and keep pumping fresh blood from the base. If you can’t tolerate it, stop the exercise and unwrap.
This routine is an intense, advanced exercise and must only be done by expert PE users. This method has to be performed with caution as it’s done on a fully-erect penis.
- Make your penis 100% erect.
- With your right hand, make an OK grip at the base.
- Squeeze tightly. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds, then release.This motion should bring a sudden rush of blood forward and expand the glans abruptly.
- Repeat step 3 four more times.
This exercise is like a combination of Uli and jelqing.
- Make your penis semi-erect, around 80%.
- With your left hand, slowly make a firm OK grip at the base. With your right hand, make the same OK grip under the glans. Clamping both ends will stop the flow of blood.
- Stroke your left hand slowly towards your right hand. Upon contact of the two hands, release your left grip. This motion pumps all trapped blood to the tip.
- Repeat step 3 with caution. Remember, the right hand is squeezing below the glans all the time and that the penis must be in a semi-erect state.
What to Choose
Different strokes work for different people. Look for the one that will give you the right mix of comfort and pressure. Once you learn how each exercise works and if your glans is responding positively, stick to the routine you feel is useful.
If you’re doing jelqs, stick to it for the meantime and observe any glans effect. If nothing happens, move on to lighter exercises that focus on the head. If after a few months and the routines are not producing any results, it’s time to try a more advanced method like the Uli Exercise.
After a glans workout, it’s normal that the entire penis will feel heavy and that erection quality is diminished. Don’t worry; these effects are temporary.
If you perceived an increase in the size of your glans, note that this is also temporary. Nonetheless, it’s a positive sign as your glans has responded to your effort. Over time, the size gains will stay longer with more frequent and more prolonged sessions.
Like jelqing or any PE, a glans workout must not be rushed. Build some resistance first to prevent injury. Do jelqs and the lighter exercises first before attempting an advanced routine.
The duration of the exercise and the number of repetitions must be based on your conditioning and tolerance. As a baseline, one jelqing session must not exceed 10 minutes. This limit applies to the glans exercises as well. However, you don’t need to meet this duration. Always listen to your body, and stop if you feel pain or discomfort.
If you prefer not doing any penile exercises, check out these alternatives:
- Clamps and cock rings: Both will hold blood and prolong the enlarged state of the penis.
- Wraps: Applying wraps after a PE pushes blood into the glans and also prolongs the enlarged state.
- Penis pumps: pumps are known to increase the blood flow through the penis. As a result, they also increase the blood in the glans. This increases the glans size. To find out more about pumps, read our full review for Bathmate and Hydromax.